A Challenge with Singing!
In music in Year 6 this term, we have been looking at developing our singing and music reading skills, using the song Donna Nobis Pacem ("Grant us peace" - in Latin). Watch the videos below of each class performing the song and watch out for the following things:
- The children are singing in 3 SEPARATE parts - creating what is known as 3-part harmony. This is a challenge for children who are in secondary school.
- Many of the children are conducting throughout the piece as this song has 3 beats in the bar rather than the typical 4.
- Several children have volunteered to help lead the different parts.
- All the children are 'reading' the music version of the piece. They have reminded themselves from their Soundstart experiences about how to tell the different names of the note and the note lengths. Therefore, using the sheet music they are using this knowledge to help them sing.
- (Please excuse Mr Johnson's narrations and singing to help support!)
Parent Challenge - Ask your children what it means if music is: homophonic / monophonic / polyphonic
6CC Donna Nobis Pacem
6JW Donna Nobis Pacem