Skip to content ↓

Extracting DNA

On Tuesday morning, we found out that Mr Horsley's laptop had gone missing! There were several suspects and our job was to work out who the culprit was! There was a crime scene (which was actually right outside our classroom) that had been cordoned off where there was a laptop bag, note and bitten apple left as evidence. 

We had to become detectives for the day! During our session, we had the task of extracting DNA from strawberries. We did this by squashing strawberries and mixing them with a solution before filtering the mixture and adding freezing cold hand sanitiser. After that was added, some of the liquid went white and cloudy and we could actually see strands of strawberry DNA!! 

After, we talked about what DNA is and compared data analysis from the crime scene and compared it to the DNA of the suspects... we found that the DNA found was a match to Suspect C.....

  • IMG0332

    IMG0332.JPG
    4218
    IMG0332
  • IMG0331

    IMG0331.JPG
    4217
    IMG0331
  • IMG0330

    IMG0330.JPG
    4216
    IMG0330
  • IMG0329

    IMG0329.JPG
    4215
    IMG0329
  • IMG0328

    IMG0328.JPG
    4214
    IMG0328
  • IMG0326

    IMG0326.JPG
    4213
    IMG0326
  • IMG0325

    IMG0325.JPG
    4212
    IMG0325
  • IMG0323

    IMG0323.JPG
    4211
    IMG0323
  • IMG0322

    IMG0322.JPG
    4210
    IMG0322
  • IMG0321

    IMG0321.JPG
    4209
    IMG0321
  • IMG0320

    IMG0320.JPG
    4208
    IMG0320
  • IMG0319

    IMG0319.JPG
    4207
    IMG0319
  • IMG0318

    IMG0318.JPG
    4206
    IMG0318
  • IMG0317

    IMG0317.JPG
    4205
    IMG0317
  • IMG0316

    IMG0316.JPG
    4204
    IMG0316